Primary Care Utilization
- The number of adult visits to primary care doctors increased 10%, from 273 million to 338 million annually
- The mean duration of an adult primary care visit increased by 16%, from 18.0 to 20.8 minutes
- Regular check-up: mean increase of 3.4 minutes
- Diagnosis of diabetes: mean increase of 4.2 minutes
- High blood pressure: mean increase of 3.7 minutes
- Diagnosis of joint disease: mean increase of 5.9 minutes
- Quality of care also improved according to nine medical, counseling and screening indicators
- Counseling or screening by doctors took 2.6 to 4.2 minutes longer than visits without these services.
Source: “Primary Care Visit Duration and Quality: Does Good Care Take Longer?”, Archives of Internal Medicine, abstract only, November 9, 2009, http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/169/20/1866?home
No comments yet.